Sticking with the 500-words a day, here’s a list in no certain order of things I wish someone had either told me or I had figured out on my own earlier than I did. These ‘things’ may well not apply to all!
1. Store tubes of toothpaste and icy-hot, pain-relief ointments away from one another in the medicine cabinet. The latter does not make for a pleasant brushing experience.
2. Dogs do not appreciate nor respond well to being the subject of an experimental, ‘Let’s see what happens if I make them kiss.’
3. Getting drunk at the circus is a bad idea.
4. If someone you’re meeting for the first time has a scratchy, gravelly voice, don’t assume they have a cold or have been screaming ‘PULL,’ while shooting skeet all day. It could be that their unique vocals are the spoils of surviving throat cancer.
5. Children are not stupid. They know the difference between a back massager and a vibrator from an early age.
6. Do not approach or attempt to move a cat without first providing it some sort of visible warning or alert.
7. Your gut is your true north star. It does not lie and should not be ignored. When you have no one to ask, trust your gut. It will guide you. (Doesn’t mean you’ll like what you hear.)
8. Everyone is as insecure as you are.
9. Not everyone likes dogs.
10. Seminal fluid in the eye stings. It is mother nature’s pepper spray.
11. Pass on gerbils as pets, especially the white ones. The day will come and you won’t know when, but the gerbils who have lived in peace in your kids room for years will have a death-to-the-end cage match. Your child will forever be haunted by images of bloody gerbils that look like Stephen King’s, ‘Carrie’ onstage at the prom.
12. Don’t lend money to a model, no matter how good looking they are or how pretty they say you are.
13. Sometimes that dish of potpourri is just that, an eye-catching assortment of miscellaneous forest and woodpile gatherings, not a fragrant snack mix.
14. You can drive on ‘E’ longer than you probably think you can (but shouldn’t).
15. Not all bowls of mashed potatoes are what they seem. Sometimes they are mashed turnips.
16. When contemplating marriage or any long-term commitment with a partner, ask yourself if you could tolerate their most annoying habit x 500. If you can honestly answer, ‘Yes,’ proceed. If not, well…
17. Pick up your dry cleaning in a timely manner. They do not mess around and will give your things away whether it’s silk or not.
18. Don’t worry so much. Breathe and check for perspective before you freak out or lose faith. This applies to what others think – chances are they’re not thinking about you anyway.
19. Orange tabby cats look a lot a like. If yours goes missing, be sure the one you find is really yours. They are a wiley, needy bunch.
20. No one completes you but you.
21. There are no such things as comfortable shoes at an all-day trade show in Las Vegas.
22. When you flip off someone behind their back, make sure they are not facing a reflective surface.